Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Counting my Blessings

This book has made me incredibly thankful for the many gifts I have in my life. I seem to catch myself complaining a lot about the amount of work I do, but I have nothing I can complain about. I have a family who loves me and supports me, financially and emotionally, I have been give access to a phenomenal education, and I have never had to worry about from where my next meal is coming. These sentiments were never more present than when I read chapter 12 "Haji Ali's Lessons."
This chapter allowed me the opportunity to reflect on a lot of my selfish tendencies. This society is very caught up in the here and now. What can I do right now, to help me and how quickly can I do it. I admire the attitude that Mortenson describes in Haji Ali when he hands over half of the male goat population of the town. Ali says, "Haji Mehdi has food today. Now our children have education forever." I began to wonder how different our society would be if everyone thought about other people before their own wealth and comfort. How much more would we be able to accomplish. Then as you continue reading, you see the motivation Haji Ali has in trying to get this school off the ground. "I can't read anything. This is is the greatest sadness in my life. I'll do anything so the children of my village never have to know this feeling. I'll pay any price so they have the education they deserve."
This book was great. I really love that I could connect with people through short little anecdotes. I love that it was personal. In this country we have a hard time relating to other cultures. We are such a self-centered place that it is hard to focus our attention on someone else for a few minutes. This book made these people part of my family. I hurt for them and hoped for them. I rejoiced at their triumphs and mourned their losses. I know that any book, especially a book that is ultimately a call to action, needs to have this personal touch. It needs to be a book that connects people and builds bridges. Mortenson writes, "Who knew that something as simple as a bridge could empower women?" Who knew that a simple book could challenge the perception of illiteracy and poverty and help empower people around the world to embrace peace?

No comments:

Post a Comment